Thor: Ragnarok to release on Blu-Ray on March 6; watch the Blu-Ray trailer here
The Blu-Ray release will also contain an additional short from the Team Thor series.
Thor: Ragnarok was a mighty successful film for Marvel in what everyone thought had become an aging franchise. The movie made north of $800 million worldwide in its theatrical run. It’s time in theaters will soon come to an end though as the movie arrives on Blu-Ray and 4K on March 6, 2018. To promote the Blu-Ray release, Marvel has released a special 4-minute sneak peek which you can watch in its entirety below.
As is customary with most Blu-Ray releases, Thor: Ragnarok will be available on Digital HD a few weeks earlier i.e. on February 20, 2018. Marvel has also released a complete list of extras for the Blu-Ray release which you can check out below. While most of them will be extended featurettes providing us with insight into the film-making process, one bit of extra is sure to stand out.
Fans will remember that one of the most commonly asked questions about Captain America: Civil War was where exactly was Thor during the events of that movie and who would he have sided with. To answer that question, director Taika Waititi and star Chris Hemsworth teamed up to create two shorts titled Team Thor in the lead-up to Thor: Ragnarok. The shorts were filmed in a mockumentary style and showed Thor living with his new earthy roommate Darryl taking all sorts of pot-shots at the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Now it turns out there’ll be a third Team Thor short that’ll see the light with the movie’s Blu-Ray release; only Team Thor has now made way for Team Darryl.
That’s right, the short will feature Thor having bailed out on Darryl. Desperate for money, Darryl accepts the only offer for a roommate that he has from none other than … The Grandmaster himself. After being booted out of Sakaar, The Grandmaster finds himself on earth and with nowhere else to go, stays with Darryl. With Jeff Goldblum’s superb improvisational skills, this should be a treat to watch.
Marvel also released a brief synopsis for this short which you can read below:
Fresh off being unseated as the ruler of Sakaar, the Grandmaster makes his way to Earth to start a new life. It’s been over a year since Thor left Australia and Darryl has been struggling to pay his rent. Now Darryl needs a new roommate to help make the monthly payments. Unfortunately for Darryl, the Grandmaster was the only one who answered Darryl’s “Roommate Needed” ad and with no viable options, the Grandmaster moves in.
Here’s the complete list of bonus material included with the Blu-Ray release:
BONUS MATERIAL (may vary by retailer):
- Director’s Introduction
- Deleted/Extended Scenes – Deleted Scenes: The Sorcerer Supreme, Skurge Finds Heimdall & Hulk Chases Thor Through Sakaar and Extended Scenes: Thor Meets the Grandmaster, Stupid Avenger vs. Tiny Avenger & Grandmaster and Topaz
- Gag Reel – Watch a collection of goofs, gaffes and pratfalls starring the cast
- Exclusive Short/Team Darryl – Fresh off being unseated as the ruler of Sakaar, the Grandmaster makes his way to Earth to start a new life. It’s been over a year since Thor left Australia and Darryl has been struggling to pay his rent. Now Darryl needs a new roommate to help make the monthly payments. Unfortunately for Darryl, the Grandmaster was the only one who answered Darryl’s “Roommate Needed” ad and with no viable options, the Grandmaster moves in.
- Marvel Studios: The First Ten Years – The Evolution of Heroes – Marvel’s universe is vast and transcends both time and space. We’ll examine the Cinematic Universe as a whole and revisit each of our heroes’ current location and their place in the current MCU timeline, as it all leads up to the one culminating event: “Avengers: Infinity War.”
- Getting in Touch with Your Inner Thor – “Thor: Ragnarok” director Taika Waititi has brought his unique sensibility and sense of humor to the film in a great many ways but it is the evolution of Thor’s own sense of humor, which stands out the most in the new film. This piece explores the impact Chris Hemsworth has made on the development of his widely-loved character and celebrates the mighty cast and crew who reveal the fun and hard work that went into assembling Thor’s eccentric counterparts.
- Unstoppable Women: Hela & Valkyrie – This piece explores the strong female characters in “Thor: Ragnarok,” their importance in the MCU, their incredible casting and their epic comic origins.
- Finding Korg – A tongue-in-cheek interview with Taika on casting Korg. He describes the difficult search for just the right evolution of the character design, and the nuances of this instantly classic character in the MCU. This conversation will also delve into all the extraordinary visual effects that brought Korg, Sakaar and the worlds of “Thor: Ragnarok” to life.
- Sakaar: On the Edge of the Known and Unknown – Sakaar is the collection point for all lost and unloved things. This documentary will answer all known and unknown questions while also exploring the hard work and creativity that went into creating the look and feel of Sakaar. From design inspired by Jack Kirby’s classic artwork to the dedication of the visual development team to the awe-inspiring physical and digital production, you will see this distant world come alive.
- Journey into Mystery – A deep dive story piece with the writers, director and producer Kevin Feige about the inspirations for “Thor: Ragnarok” within the comics. Most notably, the contest of champions limited series where the Grandmaster pitted our favorite heroes against one another as he does in the film. This piece also further explores Thor’s comic book origins and classic arcs through interviews with some of the most important comic creators, such as Walt Simonson and Jack Kirby.
- 8bit Scenes – Final Bridge Battle + Sakaar Spaceship Battle. Dive into these climactic sequences presented in retro video-game format.
- Directors Commentary
- Evolution of Thor and Hulk’s Bromance – We’ll examine this Super Hero friendship, which has spanned through several Marvel films. From their original Helicarrier fight match to the now iconic Hulk punch from Avengers 1, see how Marvel’s most powerful Super Heroes become the most extraordinary Super Hero buddies.
- Additional Deleted Scenes – Travel to Asgard & Race To The Wormhole